"Survey return from George Tulloch"
George Tulloch was a church minister to Eddrachillis parish.
Eddrachillis (also known as Eddrachilles, Eddrachillwas and Edderachillis) was a parish in the historic County of Sutherland with Scourie as its post town. A large portion of the parish was taken up by the Duke of Sutherland's deer forest. By the mid 19th century there had been many improvements to transportation and communication. In the mid 19th century, the population was 1965. The main industries in the parish were agriculture and fishing.
1. How many Medical Men practice within the Parish of Eddrachillis?
2. The Names and Addresses of these.
Dr. MacLean Scourie by Golspie
3. Has the number increased or diminished of late years?
4. Have any left the Parish since you became connected with it? If so, for what reasons?
yes – He removed to another part of the county where he practises -
5. Is there any complaint among the people of inadequacy in the supply of Medical aid?
Dr. MacLean is the only medical practioner in the parishes of Assynt & Eddrachillis: the extent of which are about 60 miles. It is not possible that one Doctor could adequately supply medical attendance to the whole population, about 5000 over so wide a range of county without some person who may be on a sick bed having cause to complain
6. Do you know of any cases of protracted suffering, or of injury by Accident, such as might have been alleviated had proper advice been at hand?
I do not at present remember any particular case of great sufferings There are not many accidents as there are no public works of any kind in the District.
7. To what extent is the deficiency of qualified Practitioners made up by the efforts of other parties?
There is one or two person who occasionally use the Lancet, [I fear] they too often from ignorance, do more evil than good. I do not know of any who attempts to administer any medicine -
8. Does your experience enable you to suggest any measure – of general applicability – such as would be likely to relieve to some extent the evils (if they exist) of deficiency in the supply of Medical aid?
If the Duke of Sutherland would give a small Farm to a medical gentleman in each parish, so that his practise would be confined to the parish where he resided, that, I think would obviate most of the difficulties to which the people & Doctor are now subjected & of which they complain
9. What Heritors1 are resident, either generally or occasionally, in your Parish?
The Duke of Sutherland is the sole Heritor of the whole district – resides for a few weeks in summer or autumn at Lochinver, Assynt
Jany 28 1851
Geo Tulloch minr
1. A heritor was a landowner, under Scots Law, whose holdings were sizeable enough for them to be liable for the payment of public burdens such as Poor Law rates, road and bridge assessments and the church minister’s stipend.