"Survey return from Donald McArthur"
Donald McArthur was a church minister to Kilninian parish.
Kilninian and Kilmore was a united parish in the historic County of Argyle and contained the town of Tobermory and the village of Aros. In 1837, the population was 1920 and agriculture was the main industry.
To the Revd
the Minister of
the Parish of Kilninian
1. How many Medical Men practice within the Parish of Kilninian & Kilmore?
2. The Names and Addresses of these.
Mr Hector McColl, Surgeon Tobermory.
Mr Donald Sinclair, Surgeon Tobermory
3. Has the number increased or diminished of late years?
4. Have any left the Parish since you became connected with it? If so, for what reasons?
Nearly forty years ago, a young man, after practising in the Parish for some years, left it for India, having obtained a medical appointment from the Directors of the East India Company.
5. Is there any complaint among the people of inadequacy in the supply of Medical aid?
I am not aware that the people complain of the inadequacy of Medical aid. They are too poor to encourage any additional Practitioners to settle among them.
6. Do you know of any cases of protracted suffering, or of injury by Accident, such as might have been alleviated had proper advice been at hand?
I have little doubt that many cases of suffering might have been alleviated, had proper advice been got in time; but the poverty of the people often prevents them from applying for medical aid, till the case becomes hopeless.
7. To what extent is the deficiency of qualified Practitioners made up by the efforts of other parties?
A few private Families are often applied to in case of sickness, and are much disposed to supply cordials1 and a few simple medicines.
8. Does your experience enable you to suggest any measure – of general applicability – such as would be likely to relieve to some extent the evils (if they exist) of deficiency in the supply of Medical aid?
I can suggest no measure likely to diminish the deficiency of the medical aid; unless the Heritors should be induced to make up a competent salary to encourage a medical practitioner to settle in the Parish.
9. What Heritors2 are resident, either generally or occasionally, in your Parish?
There are at present five Heritors resident in the Parish, namely
Alexr Crawford Esqr of Aros, by Tobermory
James Forsyth Esqr of Dunauch, Sorne, by Tobermory
Francis Wm Clarke Esqr of Ulva by Aros
Miss Campbell of Auchadashenaig by Aros
Kenneth Campbell Esqr of Ardow, by Tobermory
Kilninian 24 July 1851
Minister of Kilninian
1. A cordial is an aromatic and sweetened spirit, serving as a soothing beverage to administer medicine.
2. A heritor was a landowner, under Scots Law, whose holdings were sizeable enough for them to be liable for the payment of public burdens such as Poor Law rates, road and bridge assessments and the church minister’s stipend.