Hall of the Royal College of Physicians in George Street, Edinburgh

Click to enlarge

Physicians’ Hall, George Street, Edinburgh.
By: J. Henshall
After: Tho. H. Shephard.
Dimensions: 16. 4 x 11 cm.

Physicians’ Hall, George Street, Edinburgh, premises of the Royal College of Physicians from 1781-1843. Originally, the Fellows of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh met in the private houses of the officials. By 1698 the College resolved to buy a building of its own and in 1704 it acquired a house and grounds in Fountain Close near the High Street, wherethey laid out a physic garden. In 1775, the new Grecian style Hall was built by James Craig in George Street. The foundation stone was laid byWilliam Cullen. In 1781 the college moved to the new hall and sold theold premises. However, the stay on these premises was short lived. Thebuilding was sold in 1843 to the Commercial Bank and the College movedto its current premises in Queen Street.

Home Physicians Hall, George Street, Edinburg Physician’s Hall, Queen Street, Edinburgh William Woodville James Johnstone